Must See Spots
Butler County History Center & Kansas Oil Museum
Learn of the influences of the Oil Boom on Butler County, and become absorbed in the "Glory of the Hills" in the comprehensive Flint Hills exhibit. For more information go to Kansas Oil Museum.
Coutts Memorial Museum of Art
Over 1,000 works are housed behind the classic columns, including a fine collection of Prairie Printmakers' prints, works by Thomas Hart Benton, Frederic James and a number of fine regional painters. See Coutts Museum.
WWII History Center
The Center is dedicated to the history of the World War II era, and showcases information about the war on European, Pacific and Home fronts. To learn more go to the History Center website.
Baseball Hall of Fame
On the site of McDonald Stadium,featuring memorabilia of our local "Boys of Summer" heroes. See Baseball Hall of Fame.
Designated "A City of the Arts" in 2006, El Dorado offers a surprising selection of public sculpture, public and private galleries, and performance arts. For more information visit A City of the Arts.
El Dorado Main Street Sculpture Program
Sixteen sculptures adorn the downtown area.
A number of privately owned galleries may be found in downtown El Dorado.
Coutts Memorial Museum of Art
Special rotating exhibits in addition to the permanent collection. See Coutts Museum.
Butler Community College Fine Arts
Visual arts exhibits and performance arts are top notch. See Butler Fine Arts.
El Dorado is indeed, Someplace Fascinating! History in El Dorado abounds, from its very beginnings, through the discovery of oil in 1915, to more recent happenings. To learn more visit SomePlace Fascinating.
The discovery of oil at the Stapleton#1 oil well on October 6, 1915 brought big changes to El Dorado and changed its history forever. At the Butler County History Center / Kansas Oil Museum, 383 E. Central, one may step back in time and relive this extraordinary period of oil exploration in Butler County.
Sentinels of Time
For a complete list visit SomePlace Fascinating.
Did you know that the 44th President of the United States has strong ties to El Dorado? Learn about his grandparents, who lived in El Dorado, and more by visiting Obama Kansas Heritage.
Attractions & Art
- NEW 18 hole Disc Golf course for amateur and professional play
- Local craft brewery for the beer enthusiast
- Bike path for biking, running or a leisurely walk that begins at the El Dorado lake and wraps around multiple parks ending at East Park
- Many recreational parks great for kids, family reunions and other festive events
- City pool with diving boards, slide and kiddie pools
- Two splash parks with playgrounds and gazebos
- YMCA located downtown
- BG Products Veterans Memorial Sports Complex
- Butler County History Center & Kansas Oil Museum
- Coutts Memorial Museum of Art
- El Dorado Main Street Sculpture Program: 16 works of public sculpture downtown
- Erman B. White Gallery
- Home of Butler Community College
- Vibrant Main Street full of shopping, dining and more
El Dorado Lake & State Park
El Dorado Lake and State Park is a premier venue for the outdoor and camping enthusiast.
- 1,100 campsites and 10 cabins
- 3,500-acres of wildlife area
- 4,500-acres of park lands
- Equestrian campground with arena and corrals
- Well maintained trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding
Shopping & Dining
- Ask the locals about some of our authentic dining options
- Mouth watering pulled pork
- Salsa, queso, chips and margaritas
- Specialty sandwiches, lattes and coffees
- Steak burgers or sweet potato fries
- Specialty Chocolate Shop that is just so sweet
- Upscale, 1-of-a-kind shops for women's fashion and home decor