Backflow Prevention Program
What is a Backflow or Cross Connection?
A "cross connection" is an unprotected, actual or potential, connection between a potable water system (water that is safe for drinking) and any source or system containing water or other substance that is not safe, wholesome and fit for human consumption. A "Backflow" is the contamination of potable water from an non-potable water or other pollutant.
Cross Connection / Backflow Prevention Program
The city, as the supplier of water, is responsible for the safety of water to the last tap, as well as protection of the water distribution system. Consequently, we are also obligated to follow state regulations requiring us to have a Cross-Connection / Backflow Prevention program with annual testing. Please follow the guidelines below, but feel free to call us at 316-322-4443 if you have any questions about your backflow preventer or the program. This program is being conducted in accordance with the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act Amendments and the State of Kansas Statute 65-163(a) and amendments thereof, and the City of El Dorado Cross-Connection Control Ordinance #G-667.
What You Need to Know About Backflow
- All residents with landscape irrigation systems connected to city water must have an approved backflow assembly installed. These devices must be tested on an annual basis. Residents have until July 1 of each year to have their backflow assembly tested. It is important to test the backflow assemblies at the onset of the watering season or before being put into service.
- All licensed testers will be responsible for turning in testing certification to the Public Utilities Department, so that data can be entered and the resident checked off our list as tested. It is important to schedule your backflow assembly to be tested on an annual basis. You may use any tester certified in the state of Kansas, please ensure your tester has submitted a copy of their up-to-date certification to the City. Test reports are, generally, remitted to the City by the tester, but the owner holds ultimate responsibility to remain in compliance. Some of the local certified testers are:
- Cody Busenitz, CB Irrigation: 316-655-2675
- David Coulter, Rush Plumbing: 316-321-0662
- Jonathan Zachary, A+ Lawn Sprinklers: 316-321-5200
- Jeff Baker, The Grounds Guys: 316-768-8217
- Pepsi Cola: 800-903-4352
- Coca Cola: 844-562-2653
- The City mails out a reminder in the Spring. If the device is not tested you will receive a certified letter in July stating a date by which your device will be tested or your service disconnected. If we do not receive a test report before July 1 of each year, a minimum late fee of $20, per month, will be added to your water bill, until we receive the test report for your backflow assembly. If you have any questions, please contact Stevie Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org or Curt Johnson at email@example.com.